Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Christmas Projects Finally Posted - Continued!

I had lots of fun finishing these four wall quilts for Christmas gifts this year. I had already finished, or almost finished, these four blocks as part of a wall quilt. Well, I knew the quilt would never happen - so they became individual wall quilts, and I'm happy how they turned out. This one now lives with dear Genevieve, who loves animals. She also loves sparkly things, so I quilted it with metallic threads. It was fun to use lots of those fun threads which have been in a box for a while.
One of my challenges for these wall quilts was to not buy any fabrics to finish them! Each quilt required 3 fabrics: narrow inner border, wider outer border, plus the backing/binding fabric. On each quilt, I brought the backing around to the front to bind it. I love this finish - it is quick and easy, and perfectly fine for projects like these, which will not receive lots of wear and tear, or frequent washing. I love the little cardinal in the tree - nice pop of color - and did you notice that each quilt has a cardinal in it? This quilt now lives in Indianapolis with dear friends.

I love these bears, busily getting ready for Christmas! I was lucky to find the black/gray print for the border, plus I like how the bright blue and red borders echo the Christmas lights. This quilt lives with our great neighbors and friends, the Knights.


These little chickadees were the perfect gift for Scott's brother and his wife, in Minnesota. They have other chickadee accessories in their home, and love feeding the birds in the beautiful backyard. They have a nice big sliding glass door next to their breakfast table, so they can keep watch on all of the local wildlife.



Totally different project! These blocks were a UFO begun by Hannah and me, a number of years ago. Hannah was ok with me using the blocks for another purpose, and I think they look lovely in this table runner. Just a simple black border, some simple stipple quilting, and then bind the edge with the backing fabric. This lives in the D.C. suburbs with my brother and his wife and daughter. More projects in the next post!




No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...