Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stepping Back in Time - St. Lucia Day

Uff da, dat's good coffee!  Scott and I went out for breakfast this past Thursday, Dec. 13 - St. Lucia Day.  They serve a traditional Swedish breakfast at my favorite place, Tre Kronor on Foster Ave. in Chicago.  It is a TINY restaurant - we are sitting in the farthest corner from the front door, which you can see behind Scott.
When you eat there, it's like you're at your aunt's house - homey, comfy, and it smells great!
Coffee station and Christmas tree - can you see the hand-painted mural on the wall, complete with gnomes?
This place is one-of-a-kind, and I just love it. Oh, and the food is all homemade and gourmet.
Not many people drive 45-50 minutes each way to go out for breakfast. Oh, and did I mention? We got there at 6:45 in the morning.
The best part is - it's still dark out, and we eat only by candlelight - and of course the lights on the tree.  So nostalgic, and quiet, and sweet.
One of the waitresses, Bridget, made a lovely Lucia girl - she, and two other girls, sang several selections for us, some in Swedish.  This is part of the Lucia tradition.
We had the BEST time!

No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...