Sunday, January 22, 2017

Pin Basting 101

I am excited about finishing my current project, but don't want to actually show the piece until it is finished.  I love every step of quilting, and machine quilting is one of my favorites.  Today, I pin basted my project, so it is ready to go!

First, I trimmed and press my top, and set it aside.  I pieced my backing fabric, pressed well, and set it aside.  I can't show you that either, but suffice it to say, I found the PERFECT backing fabric! I also pieced my batting.  I butt the edges, and sew together with the multiple zigzag stitch.  Then I layered the project - backing face down, taped securely to my table; batting, smoothing it out nicely; and then the quilt top, also smoothing it carefully.  Then I start putting in the safety pins, starting in the center and working out from there.  

Detail, showing the pieced batting.  This is a poly/cotton blend, 80/20, my favorite batting. 

My tip:  I insert ALL of the pins BEFORE I close any of them.  Why? Well, when you close the pin, you distort your carefully layered project.  That is why I wait.  When all the pins are inserted, then I can sit down and close all of the pins. 

I found this tool years ago, and it works great.  Helps me to close the pins without hurting my fingers.  Another tip:  when you remove the pins while quilting, throw them back into your storage container while still open! Then you don't have to open them later.  Saves lots of time.

No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...