Thursday, January 4, 2018

Christmases Past

Before we take down the tree, here is a little tour of some of our special, nostalgic ornaments.

These blue ornaments were on Scott's parents first tree, way back in 1943, I think.  And the cutie in the center is one of a few we have that they made together!  I cannot imagine my father-in-law doing this type of thing, or my husband either. He would try, but he's kind of a fumble fingers! These remind me of sputnik!

These beauties belonged to my Grandma Johnson, in Minnesota.   She passed away back in 1967, so they're older than that.  The top one is more "modern" , the lower one much older - and fragile.

More really old beauties.  Some of these have PAPER caps at the top, holding the little look of wire for the hanging string.  We used to have lots more of these oldies, but our old lab (Maggie) knocked the tree down and there were several ornaments that were destroyed.  I heard a crash from the other room, and when I went to investigate, Maggie ran past me, with the treetop angel in her mouth!  Too funny!

This one is old and kind of beat up looking, but I don't care.  I love the hot pink color, and the children-inspired illustrations  - especially now that I am a grandma!

This pewter rocking horse is our most special ornament.  We bought it in Bayfield, Wisconsin on our honeymoon.  We stayed just up the street at the Rittenhouse Inn, highly recommend (yes, it's still there, 39 years later).  We start decorating the tree with the little horsey, giving it a place of honor, and then add the other ornaments around it.   Time to take down the tree until next year!

No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...