Friday, August 5, 2011

Big night tonight!

Is there anyone in America who doesn't know who Yo Yo Ma is? After all, besides being the preeminent cellist living today - worldwide - he has also appeared on quite a variety of popular programs, including Sesame Street! (which elevates him even higher in my book!) Yo Yo is one of my husband's heroes, and our whole family is going to Ravinia tonight to hear him play with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra!

Ravinia is the summer home of the CSO, a lovely park with an open air pavillion, plus a huge grassy lawn for picnicking. Some guests bring quite elaborate spreads, complete with candles and champagne!
Scott usually ends up relaxing on the blanket, looking at the stars - or maybe snoozing a bit! We are all very excited for tonight! This is another part of Scott's Father's Day celebration.


We have a couple of Yo Yo's albums - the one below is Scott's favorite, and he is always recommending it to someone! I'm sure you can find it at your local library.



And my favorite is the one below. I had never heard of Ennio Morricone - but I had heard of his music. He has done the scores to many movies, and the music is lush and gorgeous, a perfect foil for Yo Yo's talents. Have a listen, you'll love it!


And now - off to Ravinia!


















No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...