Sunday, December 16, 2012

Channelling My Mom

 I got up super early today (who knows why), and after I wrapped Christmas gifts for like an hour,
I was hungry and decided to make coffee cake.  I LOVE to bake, and Bisquick coffee cake (see the recipe here) is a favorite of mine and my family.  I remember my mom making it when I was a kid - as a special treat, maybe if my dad was working hard around the house on a Saturday, for a coffee break snack.  But for me, today, this was breakfast.
 Coming out of the oven, hot and bubbly - see the little bit of crusted-on brown sugar and butter goo on the edge of the pan? That stuff is delicious!  and the pan? That was one of my mom's layer cake pans - she gave them to me when I set up housekeeping on my own after college.  I wonder how old that pan is - and how many cakes have been baked in it.
As I said, my family enjoys it, too - this is Scott's breakfast:  coffee cake, hot coffee in his favorite mug, and reading the funnies.  And that's my Grandma Johnson's tree on the table - talk about retro! 
Lovely way to start a Sunday morning!

No comments:

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...