Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Quilt Inspiration - from clip art!


This is the altar cloth that resulted from clip art inspiration - shown here in my living room!  

This little thumbnail sketch was a piece of clip art, seen in a church bulletin years ago.  We were back home in Minnesota, in my tiny home church - one of those cute little white churches, with a green steeple, like on a Christmas card? Yes, that's my home church - where we were married, actually.  If you use every inch, you can seat maybe 120 people.
St. Paul's United Church of Christ
Delano Minnesota

Anyway, I loved the beauty and simplicity of this sketch, and thought it would make a great design for a quilted altar cloth - and planned then and there to make an entire matching set for the church, as a memorial for my parents.  They were long-time, very active members, and I thought it would be a fitting tribute.  You see the altar cloth above.



Companion piece made for the pulpit.  I also made a matching stole for the minister.

Then I decided to make a similar set of paraments for my current church, First United Methodist of Downers Grove, IL (below).


An artist friend, Janine Johnson, modified the original design a bit, making it more appropriate for our church.  I pieced the background in a brick design, using different beige fabrics, to suggest the bricks on our church. Sorry I don't have a close-up shot.

Pulpit and altar pieces - don't the autumn floral arrangements look stunning alongside them?

1 comment:

beth said...

They're beautiful! Great job!

Happy New Year!

Happy new year!  Here's hoping for peace in our world!  A quote that I carry around with me is from my hometown pastor, from years ago -...